I didn't finish the book on the trip, but made good headway and continued to read after I got back. I realized as I was searching for a bookmark in my nightstand that I couldn't find anything suitable (scrap of paper, even?!), so I decided to make some bookmarks:
They turned out well - colorful and cute with the tassels! Evie saw me making them and asked if she could have one (I love that she likes crafting right now, because she may not always). I think she chose pink, but seeing as how she's pretty fickle at this age, she may change her mind!
1. Die cut bookmark shapes from kraft Middy Bitty Bags and white cardstock. Adhere kraft bookmark shape over white cardstock for extra support.
2. Using Silhouette, cut floral silhouette and feather shapes from white cardstock. Watercolor shapes.
3. Adhere watercolored shapes to bookmark.
4. Attach eyelet to top of bookmark with Crop-a-Dile
5. To make the tassel, I used a small acrylic block about 2.5 to 3 inches tall and wrapped about 6 feet of twine around, then pulled the bundle of wound twine off. I then cut a 10-inch piece of twine for the tassel string, folded in half, and tied to one end of the wrapped twine bundle. I then wound another piece of twine ~10 times around the bundle about half an inch down from the top of the tassel, and used a needle to help me tie off the end.
6. Using scissors, cut the looped ends of the tassel.
7. Attach to bookmarks using eyelets.
See this project on the Whisker Graphics blog here: Twine and Bitty Bag Bookmarks
Paper: Whisker Graphics (Horizontal Striped and Chevron Kraft Middy Bitty Bags); Bazzill Basics Marshmallow cardstock
Embellishments: Divine Twine (Deep Denim Diva Stripe Twine; Lemonwood Diva Stripe Twine; Bluebonnet Diva Stripe Twine; Violet Diva Stripe Twine; Palos Verdes Diva Stripe Twine; Palos Verdes Diva Solid Twine; Orange Divine Twine; Peach Divine Twine; Green Apple Divine Twine; Deep Pink Solid Divine Twine; Cotton Candy Divine Twine; Raspberry Divine Twine)
Tools: Silhouette Cameo (floral silhouette and feather shapes); Papertrey Ink metal die; We R Memory Keepers Crop-a-Dile and eyelets
Ink: watercolors (I actually used Evelyn's watercolors that Greg got for her birthday after she was asleep. Heh.)